Recipe Box: Homemade Tzatziki Spread


While recently shopping for groceries, I stumbled upon these gyro sandwiches. In my mind, I thought they would make great lunches for the weekend when I just need a bite but I didn't pay attention to the fact that it was just pita bread and meat without any sauce or other condiments. Never having had a gyro before, I just sliced up some red onion and tomatoes then placed a dollop of sour cream on top. Much to my surprise this was actually good, but I wanted to try a more "Greek" topping instead of plain sour cream the next time I ate one of this, so I devised a spread. If you would like to know how I made the above spread, just continue reading.

Homemade Tzatziki Spread (sour cream based)

Ingredients
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup peeled and grated cucumber (liquid squeezed out)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt (to taste)
Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)


Directions
1) Combine all ingredients except the sea salt and fresh ground black pepper in a bowl, stir until well combined.
2) Season to taste with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
3) Let chill in fridge for 8hrs or overnight before serving.
4) Serve and enjoy!


ALTERNATIVES: I'm not a big fan of yogurt but of course you can always substitute yogurt for the sour cream, as well as, any of the other ingredients in the recipe.


Here is a picture of one of my gyros topped with homemade spread & sliced cucumbers and tomatoes

Are you going to give this recipe a try? If so, I would love to know how it turned out for you! Please leave a comment below.