Recipe Box: Poached Eggs

Recently I have seen a lot of pictures of poached eggs on Instagram. Never having had a poached egg but loving all the delicious pictures I was seeing, I just had to try my hand at it and the below image is the result of my first time poaching an egg. If you're a newbie to poaching eggs like myself just continue reading to see the steps that I used as well as some tips I learned along the way.


Directions
1) Make sure your eggs are really fresh.
2) Add a small dash of vinegar to a pan of steadily simmering water.
3) Crack eggs individually into a cup.
4) Create a gentle whirlpool in the water to help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
5) Slowly tip the egg into the water, white first then leave to cook for three (3) minutes.
6) Remove poached egg with a slotted spoon, cutting off any wispy edges using the edge of the spoon.
7) Drain poached egg on kitchen paper to remove any excess water.


TIPS
- Use the freshest egg you can find.
- The water should not be boiling but a little more than simmering so that you can see the movement of the water.
- Never season the water with salt because this will cause the egg white to break up and go wispy.


If you choose to try your hand at poaching an egg, I would love to know how it turned out for you! Please leave a comment below.